I decided to experiment a little more with this Design Sheet, moving away from the painted cartridge paper used before for backgrounds in previous design sheets.
I began by crumbling some brown wrapping paper a few times, unrolling it and re-crumbling between my hands. Then I painted it with a combination of Brusho paints mixing purple and blue, letting the colours blend and separate at will. I love how the colours deepened in the foldlines of the paper, creating a very rich background.
The motifs were cut from cartridge paper which had paint poured upon it in layers, then lifted to allow the wet paint to merge with the colour below.
Another technique I applied was to paint a very wet surface on cartridge paper, then sprinkle some sea salt upon it, creating a very textured and interesting paper.
All the design units were cut from the last 2 sheets. It was definitely a whole lot more exciting to create these design units from more interesting papers.
Description and explanation of Design Sheet C: [A4 sized to ease scanning in computer]
(i) Complex counterchange: I cut out 2 star shapes exactly the same,using 1 each of the papers described above. Next I drew the star shapes on the backs of the papers. I then divided and cut each star into quarters, before arranging them into a counterchange pattern.
(ii) Divide and Separate - new motif selected. Star shape as in (i) only slightly more complex, and rearranged after cutting out, leaving a slight gap between each piece. New motif outlined in white above.
(iii) New unit overlapping in an edge to edge repeat pattern.
(iv) Symmetrical design, based on new motif.
(v) Interlocked motifs, symmetrically arranged.
(iii), (iv) and (v) above all display interesting negative space shapes, especially the slightly off-centered shapes visible in (iv) and (v).