Friday, June 21, 2013
Using the same motif I experimented with free machine embroidery on Romeo soluble paper. Because Romeo is so heavy there was no need for an embroidery hoop. To work the satin stitch edging I used my Bernina #6 embroidery foot and raised the feed dogs, stitch size 4mm and minmum stitch length. To ensure that the satin stitch didn't unravel after dissolving the soluble fabric I free machined the inner and outer edges. As I love the freedom of the free machining process I enjoyed playing with my motifs in this manner, and plan to use free maching on soluble fabric in my resolved piece.
For the following sample I created a bonded fabric varying the the amounts of bits and pieces of torn fabrics, ribbons, threads, etc so that I could cut out shapes showing varying levels of growth / disintegration throughout the entire piece. I also wanted to experiment with an overall fabric design. The background fabric is a space dyed silk habutai.
Thursday, June 20, 2013
The following samples illustrate how I used hand embroidery stitches to display growth and disintegration processes. The blackwork sample was worked on 28 count linen with space dyed cotton threads. The series of free cross stitch samples were worked on hand dyed silk using wool and cotton embroidery threads.