Friday, October 31, 2014

Chapter 3 - Cable Stitch Samplers


Sample #1: Loosened lower bobbin tension, upper tension normal. Black pearl cotton #8 wound on to bobbin, white sewing thread on top; straight stitch;  altered stitch length and spacing; double layer of fabric.

Sample #2: Black pearl cotton #5 in bobbin - removed screw and tension cover entirely from bobbin case; white sewing thread on top; normal tension; altered spacing; 3 step zig zag; layers of stitching.


Sample #3: Bypassed tension altogether; 6 stranded white cotton floss wound on to bobbin; white sewing thread on top; normal top tension; 3 step zig zag stitch; combined overlapping layers and spacing.

Sample #4: Transparent fabric on top of stitch and tear; black pearl cotton #8 wound on to bobbin; black sewing thread on top; pre-set embroidery stitch #67 on my Bernina 'Virtuosa 155'.


Sample # 5: 2 layers of transparent fabric - didn't use Stitch and Tear this time as I found it too hard to remove in sample #4. 6 stranded cotton floss wound on to bobbin; black sewing thread on top. Continuous curved zig zag line of stitching; moving from wide to narrow settings, with gentle manipulation of fabric to create curves by swivelling.

Comments: I loved creating these samples and could probably have continued on as it seemed the more I did, the more ideas I had for possible samples. My favourite were samples # 4 and # 5. I wonder what would happen if I tried this on soluble fabric?!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed looking at your work Edith, esp the beautiful Blackwork. I have fond memories of this module.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie, thanks for visiting! I love your blog and always find visiting it inspirational! :)

      Delete