Tuesday, December 17, 2013

EVALUATION OF COMPLETED WORK

The completed embroidered assessment piece for Module One is a Resolved Sample based on the idea of ‘Growth and Disintegration’.

How do you feel about the resulting conclusion?
-          I thoroughly enjoyed creating my Resolved Sample. I especially enjoyed rising to the challenge of sampling new-to-me techniques, including using ‘sticky’ soluble fabric, laying grids in place before stitching, hand stitching on soluble fabric, and beading on soluble fabric. Soluble fabric seems to me to be an ideal medium to use in a piece based on the theme of ‘growth and disintegration’.

Is it fit for its purpose? Give reasons.
-          I believe that my Resolved Sample fulfilled the criteria. Having laid down a basic grid I then free machined everything in place ensuring that all stitching connected at some point in order to ensure that the piece didn’t completely disintegrate! Then the real fun began – using a combination of hand stitching and beading to build up certain areas making these small sections ‘grow’, while leaving other areas less stitched and more open in order to suggest ‘disintegration’. The use of herringbone in the background sections worked particularly well, especially as some areas were left un-stitched which created an open, lacey appearance. The edges we left raggy to emphasise the ‘disintegration’ aspect.

If you were asked to make it again, what changes would you make to the way you designed it, and the way you made it?

-          If I was to design and make this again I would devote more time to the pre-planning which areas to leave more open (‘disintegration’) and which to build up with stitch and beading (‘growth’). Even though I thought I had planned it all thoroughly, I could have done more at the designing stage. Possibly is I had worked an initial sample of my Resolved Sample first, before embarking on the actual Resolved Sample, I might have produced a more dramatic example of the theme of ‘Growth and Disintegration’. Certainly a lesson to bear in mind for the next module!

No comments:

Post a Comment